Sunday 6 November 2011

Autumn flashback


It's been beautifully autumnal this week (in that lovely golden-leaves-and-blue-skies way, not the soggy-rainy-cold type of autumnal that we often expect). 

I've had the song 'Autumn Days' buzzing round my head. We sang it in assembly when I was at primary school, but I remember it was banned, because everyone used to sing "be-dooby-doo-doo" at the end of the chorus.  

Well, that might not actually be the reason why we stopped singing it. It could've been the end of Autumn.  Or teachers deciding that more specifically Christian songs with deeper theological truths would be more appropriate for our times of collective worship... 

...but that's the reason I remember.

While I was visiting Mum & Dad's, I found some art I did at school. Most of it is homeworks from year 7, so I was 11 years old (except the 'quilled' tree, which is from when I was about age 9, I think).

Here's a little autumn medley of recent photos, old art, and with an imaginary soundtrack of "Autumn Days"... 


Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well
So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.

(be-dooby-doo-doo!)


No comments:

Post a Comment